3 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
0.5 C carrot puree
0.5 C spinach puree
0.5 C firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
0.25 C unsweetened cocoa powder
2 T trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
2 t pure vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
0.75 C all-purpose flour
0.5 t baking powder
0.5 t salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8×8 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or over a very low flame.
3. In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth an creamy, 1-2 minutes.
4. Whisk in egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.
5. Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35-40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 bars.